Basil Shrimp with Bacon
- 16 slice Dietz & Watson™ Gourmet Imported Bacon
- 16 jumbo shrimp (thawed if frozen), peeled and deveined
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 flavorless wooden toothpicks
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 12 oz barbeque sauce
- 4 tsp grated horseradish
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2 To butterfly the shrimp, make a deep slit along the back of each, but not all the way through. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Place one basil leaf inside the slit in each shrimp.
- 3 Wrap each shrimp in a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- 4 In a medium stockpot or saucepan, heat the oil over high heat to 350°F; when hot, carefully add the shrimp a few at a time.
- 5 Deep-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until crisp.
- 6 Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the oil and place on a tray lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- 7 In a skillet, combine the barbeque sauce, horseradish and hot pepper sauce.
- 8 Add the precooked shrimp to the sauce and heat, basting the shrimp for 5 minutes, until the shrimp are heated through.
- 9 Serve on a platter garnished with lemon wedges and extra basil leaves.