Dietz and Watson Tavern Ham Croquette
Created and prepared by Chef Justin Severino of Morcilla in Pittsburgh.
- Croquette Recipe
- 11 POUNDS (approx. 2 each) Pork shanks seasoned overnight with salt and pepper
- 3.5 POUNDS (approx. ½ of a ham) Deitz and Watson Tavern Ham cubed into 1” chunks
- 8 OUNCE Grapeseed oil
- 1 POUND Carrots, peeled cut at 1” length pieces
- 2 LARGE White onions, diced
- 1 HEAD Celery, cut into 1” length pieces
- 10 SPRINGS Thyme
- 2 HEADS Garlic, cut in half
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 QUARTS Apple cider
- 4 QUARTS Pork stock
- 2 CUPS Whole grain mustard
- 4 OUNCE Sherry vinegar
- TO TASTE Salt
- 12 Whole eggs
- 8 CUPS All-purpose flour
- 8 CUPS Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 QUARTS Vegetable oil
- Kraut Recipe:
- 1 ¼ OUNCE Salt
- 2 ½ POUNDS Carrot, Cabbage & Spring onions
- Sauce Ravigotte:
- 4 Eggs (boiled for 6min)
- 1 Shallot, minced
- Cornichons, minced ¼ CUP
- ¼ cup Capers rinsed and drained
- ½ CUP Finely chopped parsley, dill, chervil, chive & tarragon
- ¼ CUP EVOO
- 2 TBSP Sherry Vinegar
- 1 TSP Dijon mustard
- 1 Begin by roasting the season shanks in a roasting pan at 400 degrees for 3 hours until all sides are golden brown. While the shanks are roasting heat the grapeseed oil in a large roasting pan over medium heat until it begins to shimmer.
- 2 Add the cubed Tavern Ham and sear on all sides until golden brown. Add the carrots, onions, celery, thyme, garlic, and bay leaf; continue to cook stovetop until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the apple cider and the pork stock and bring to a simmer then shut off until the shanks have finished roasting. Place the roasted shanks into the stovetop roasting pan and then cover with a lid. Turn the oven down to 200 degrees and braise for 8 hours in the oven. **Pull the braise out of the oven and refrigerate overnight.
- 3 While the liquid is reducing pull the bones out of the shanks and flake all of the meat and vegetables into a large bowl.
- 4 Once the liquid is reduced add it to the meat and vegetables. Season with the whole grain mustard and the vinegar and adjust with salt to taste.
- 5 Roll the mixture into 2inch diameter rolls in plastic wrap (approx. 4 rolls) and freeze for 4 hours. Remove the plastic wrap and cut each roll in ½ across ways.
- 6 In a large bowl whisk the eggs and the water together. In two separate large bowls add the flour and the breadcrumbs. Begin by placing the cut rolls first in the flour then the egg then the bread crumbs and repeat three times shaking off any excess in between each stage. Place the breaded croquettes on to a baking sheet and refrigerate. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot to 350 degrees. Fry the croquettes until golden brown and crispy and heated through. Once finished pull the croquettes from the oil onto a tray lined with paper towel. Serve immediately.
- 7 Pull the shanks, Tavern Ham, carrots onions celery out of the liquid and set aside. Strain the braising liquid through a fine mesh strainer and reduce until tacky about ¼ of its original volume.
- 8 Kraut: Thinly slice all vegetables. Mix with salt and put in a container with a tight fitting lid. Once kraut is in the bucket, weight it with a heavy object (plates work well when using a round container).
- 9 Let kraut sit at room temperature for a minimum of 1 week.
- 10 Smoked Fingerling Potatoes Recipe Cook potatoes until tender. Place in smoker on Medium heat until flavor is achieved (about 2hours).
- 11 Slice and deep fry in grape seed oil at 325degrees until crispy. Season with salt