Mushrooms Stuffed with Bacon
The perfect appetizer for any occasion. Serves 4.
- 1 lb Dietz & Watson™ bacon (diced small)
- 1/2 cup Dietz & Watson™ Mozzarella (grated)
- 24 large button mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5oz pkg baby spinach (chopped)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Remove stems from mushrooms, finely chop stems and reserve.
- 2 Coat a baking sheet with oil. Bake the mushroom caps, stem-side down, until just tender (10 to 12 minutes).
- 3 Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Then add garlic and onion, stirring often, until tender (3 to 5 minutes). Add the chopped mushroom stems and cook until the pan is dry (about 3 minutes).
- 4 Add the spinach, toss the skillet, until spinach is wilted (2 to 3 minutes).
- 5 Transfer the spinach mixture to a medium bowl, add breadcrumbs and cheese and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6 Turn the mushroom caps stem-side up, fill with the stuffing, and bake until golden brown (12 to 15 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste.