Philly Cheesesteak Stew
- 1 1/2 lbs Dietz & Watson® Angus Roast Beef, thinly sliced
- 2 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 10 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 4 cups beef stock, hot
- 4 sourdough bread, centers cut out for serving
- 4 slices Dietz & Watson® Picante Provolone cheese
- 1 Place a non-stick pot over medium-high heat, and drizzle in about 3-4 tbsp of oil; once hot, add Dietz & Watson® Angus Roast Beef.
- 2 Allow Angus Roast Beef to sear for :30 seconds, and remove onto a plate.
- 3 Add a little more oil to pot, and add the sliced onions; allow onions to caramelize for roughly 6 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning, until golden-brown and softened.
- 4 Then, add in the mushrooms, and allow them to continue sautéing with the onions for another 6 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- 5 Add in the dried thyme and the garlic, and stir.
- 6 Once the garlic becomes aromatic, sprinkle in the remaining 4 tablespoons of flour over the onion/mushroom mixture, and stir well to combine and blend.
- 7 Next, slowly add in the hot beef stock, stirring all the while to avoid any little flour “lumps” from forming.
- 8 Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow the stew to simmer for about 10 minutes, uncovered.
- 9 Set oven to Broil.
- 10 Stir in the seared Angus Roast Beef to combine.
- 11 Serve stew in breadbowls, top with a slice of provolone, and place the bread bowls onto a foil-lined baking sheet then broil in oven to melt the provolone cheese.