Sausage and Cheese Stuffed Acorn Squash
A hearty, flavorful recipe perfect for entertaining or just to enjoy on a chilly autumn day.
- 1/2 pkg Dietz & Watson™ Italian All Natural Chicken Sausage (diced)
- 1/2 pkg Dietz & Watson™ Oktoberfest All Natural Chicken Sausage (diced)
- 1/2 cup Dietz & Watson™ Picante Provolone Cheese (grated)
- 3/4 cup Dietz & Watson™ Gouda cheese (shredded)
- 2 medium acorn squash, about 1 pound each, cut in half horizontally
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tbsp garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Scoop out seeds from acorn squash. Rub with 2 tablespoons olive oil . Wrap squash in aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until a sharp knife easily pierces squash.
- 2 While squash is baking, bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa: bring to a boil again. Lower heat: simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat: cover pot. Let steam 15 minutes.
- 3 Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add bell pepper and diced sausage. Cook, stirring, until sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes, . Stir in quinoa and basil. Let cool slightly: mix in Picante Provolone Cheese and ½ cup Gouda cheese.
- 4 Transfer squash halves; cut side up, to a baking dish. (Cut a thin slice off bottom to stand flat) Pack each with even amount of filling: bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Gouda cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer.