Sausage and Herb Stuffing
This favorite family recipe, using our All Natural Uncured Chicken Sausage and traditional herbs, is a flavorful stuffing all on its own – and an ideal complement to any holiday meal.
- - Dietz & Watson™ All Natural Uncured Nitrate free Italian Chicken Sausage, diced
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 to cups chopped celery
- 10 cups cubed French bread or white bread
- 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried leaf sage, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 to cups chicken broth
- 1 Lightly butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.
- 2 In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, stirring frequently, until sausage is cooked through. Remove to paper towels to drain. Wipe out the skillet and melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3 In a large mixing bowl, toss the bread cubes with the herbs and seasonings. Add the vegetables with the butter and the drained sausage. Stir in chicken broth until well moistened, but not mushy. Pack gently into the prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil for about 3 to 4 minutes, or just until browned on top.