Gnocchi Cacio e Pepe
Created and prepared by Chef Cullen Campbell of Crudo in Pheonix.
- FOR CACIO E PEPE:
- 1 CUP Heavy cream
- ½ CUP Dietz & Watson Originals Parmigianino Reggiano, grated
- ½ CUP Dietz & Watson Originals Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- 1 TBSP Roux
- 2 TBSP Fresh ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- FOR POTATO GNOCCHI:
- 4 LARGE Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 CUPS Type 00 flour
- 2 LARGE Eggs
- 1 TBSP Kosher Salt
- 1 FOR CACIO E PEPE: Heat heavy cream, Dietz & Watson Originals Parmigianino Reggiano, and Dietz & Watson Originals Pecorino Romano Cheese together until melted. Add roux to thicken, then add pepper.
- 2 FOR POTATO GNOCCHI: Peel potatoes, quarter and put into pot of salted water. Boil potatoes until fork tender, then strain. Rice the potatoes into a mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature. Mix farm eggs and salt gently into the potatoes.
- 3 Mix type 00 flour into potato mixture and work until it becomes a smooth dough ball. On a floured cutting board, cut 2” slices of dough. Dust with flour and roll into long tubes. When all the dough is rolled out and similar in size, cut into 1” pieces.
- 4 Boil a pot of salted water and prepare an ice bath. With a spatula, gently slide gnocchi into boiling water. When the gnocchi floats to the top they are done. Start removing with a slotted spoon and place in the ice bath. Let cool in ice bath for 3 minutes and strain. *Lightly oil the gnocchi so they don’t stick together.
- 5 Heat up in the cacio e pepe & serve with grated Dietz & Watson Originals Parmigianino Reggiano.