Green Garlic and Dandelion Soup
Created and prepared by Chef Justin Severino of Morcilla in Pittsburgh.
- Green Garlic Soup:
- 2 CUPS Onions, julienne
- 1 CUP Green garlic
- ½ CUP Olive oil
- 5 CLOVES Garlic, minced
- 6 CUPS Dandelion greens
- 2 QUARTS Vegetable stock
- Fried Egg and Gouda Espuma:
- 3 Eggs, fried until yolks are firm
- 2 CUPS heavy cream
- 2 CUPS Gouda (grated)
- To Taste Salt
- Lemon Oil:
- 2 CUPS EVOO
- 4 Lemons, worth of lemon peel
- 1 Green Garlic Soup Recipe: In a large pot over medium low, heat olive oil and onions with a pinch of salt until onions are translucent, tender, and sweet. Add minced garlic and cook until tender. In another pot, bring veg stock to a boil. Then add boiling stock, dandelion greens and green garlic to the pot with the onions. Cook just until dandelion leaves are tender. Blend thoroughly; pass through a chinois, and season with salt.
- 2 Fried Egg and Gouda Espuma Recipe: Warm cream and whisk in grated gouda small amounts at a time until melted. Blend cream and melted cheese with eggs until smooth. Pass through a chinois. Season with salt and put into an ISI canister. Charge with two whip cream chargers. Keep warm.
- 3 Lemon Oil Recipe: With a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemons. In a small pot, heat oil and lemon peels until warm. Let steep until flavor is imparted. The longer the peels are left in the more flavor the lemon oil will have. Strain.
- 4 Method Green Garlic and Dandelion Soup Heat soup and place in a small pourer. Spray a small amount of espuma into a serving bowl. Make a well in the center of the espuma with s a spoon. Pour in lemon oil. Garnish with dill and crispy bacon. Pour soup in the center of the espuma.